Applying For A Visa

Please note that immigration policy changes regularly and the college will endeavour to keep this section of the website up to date, it is advisable that you also consult the UK Border Agency website for the most up to date information.


Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

You must apply for a Tier 4 General Student or Student Visitor Visa depending on the length of your course if you are a Non-EU/ EEA/ Swiss Nationals


Which visa should I apply for?

You should apply for a Tier 4 visa if you will be studying a course which is over 6 months in duration or if you require an in-country extension.

All of our current courses exceed 6 months therefore you should apply for a Visa under Tier 4


What do I need to know?

  • The College acts as your Visa sponsor and this places responsibilities on the College and student during your study in the UK.  The application form includes a section on tier 4 requirements.
  • HND students are eligible to work 10 hours per week term time and full-time during college holidays on this visa;
  • The maximum duration a student can study at HN level is 3 years
  • Students must hold a valid UKBA-approved English language certificate (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson Academic, Cambridge ESOL) at or above the minimum level set for that course before we can issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (unconditional offer);
  • The College must monitor the attendance of all Tier 4 students and report any unauthorised absence and  poor attendance to the UK Border Agency;
  • The College must maintain an up-to-date file for all Tier 4 students this includes contact details, passport copies and copies of any other documents used as evidence for a student’s visa application e.g. copies of qualifications.


What do I need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa *?

  • Fully completed application form;
  • Visa application fee;
  • Valid passport;
  • A valid CAS statement;
  • Original qualifications as listed in your CAS statement (including English language certificate);
  • Bank statements/ bank letter demonstrating that funds for the course fees/ living costs are available for the required duration.


*The above list is given as an indication only and there may be additional documents required depending on your personal circumstances.


UKBA Living Expenses

UKBA rules require a student as part of their Visa application to demonstrate that they hold sufficient living expenses. This is currently £800 per month and you are expected to show sufficient funds for a period of time, generally 9 months. In addition you must demonstrate you have the full amount of course fees for the first year of the course less any amounts paid. For full information on the amount of money that tier 4 students must possess and how this can be demonstrated to UKBA please visit the following link:


For full information on this route and how to apply visit the Adult Students page on the UK Border Agency website.


For general information on living expenses an online student calculator is available to help current or prospective students work out how much actual money they will need. You can find this by visiting International Student Calculator.