Funding Information

Full-time courses

Students attending College on a full-time basis can apply for financial assistance from various sources depending on the level of course being studied.

National Certificate, National Qualification, Pathways and Access courses

Students studying full-time National Certificate, National Qualification, Pathways or Access courses may be entitled to Bursary support. Certain students aged betwen 16 and 19 may be entitled to the Education Maintenance Allowance.

Both methods of funding can be applied for using the one Bursary/EMA application form.

Both funds are administered by the College and should be applied for as soon as you receive your conditional or unconditional offer of a place on a course.

Higher National Certificate, Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma courses.

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland will pay the tuition fees for all eligible Scottish and EU students.

Support for living costs for students studying in Scotland will mainly be through a loan, but you may be able to apply for a bursary (means tested) if you are under 25. Certain students may be eligible for supplementary grants. For advice on which ones you can apply for, contact Learner Services.

Applications for funding should be sent as soon as you receive your conditional or unconditional offer of a place on a course.

Additional Support

You may be able to apply for extra support from the College if you are paying rent, mortgage or child care. This support would come from the College Hardship/Childcare Fund. Students experiencing extreme hardship may also receive help depending on individual circumstances. You can apply for this support at any time in the academic year.

Part-time courses

Students attending College on a part-time basis may receive financial assistance from a number of sources.

Further information on all aspects of finance is available by contacting Learner Services.

For information on Individual Learning Accounts (ILA) which can assist with course funding please click here.

Disabled Students' Allowance

  • What is DSA?
  • What is regarded as a Disability?
  • Who is Eligible?
  • Who is Ineligible?
  • What can be claimed?
  • How do you claim?

What is DSA?

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is funding for students who by reason of their disability have extra costs arising from attendance on their course.

What is regarded as a Disability?

According to the Disability Discrimination Act a person is disabled if they have a mental or physical impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’.

This might include anyone who:

  • is dyslexic.
  • is a wheelchair user.
  • has a mobility problem.
  • is deaf.
  • has a visual impairment.
  • has a clinically recognised mental health problem.
  • has epilepsy.
  • has a fluctuating condition such as arthritis.
  • has a progressive condition such as MS or HIV from the time when it first becomes symptomatic.
  • has a severe visible disfigurement.
  • has any other disability which significantly affects their normal day-to-day activities.

The impairment needs to have lasted, or be likely to last, 12 months or more.

Who is Eligible?  Only Students on Advanced Level, HNC level and above Courses for example:

Anyone with a disability who is

  • undertaking a full-time HNC, HND, degree or equivalent level course. 
  • undertaking at least 50% of an eligible full-time equivalent Higher Education course  leading to an HNC, HND, degree or equivalent level course. Note that the award is pro-rata to the enrolment
  • a resident in the UK for the 3 years immediately prior to commencement of course.
  • ordinarily resident in Scotland on the first day of your course.

Who is Ineligible?

You cannot apply for DSA unless you are studying on an HNC or above level Course see below:

  • Anyone not resident in the UK for 3 years prior to enrolment.
  • Anyone taking a course or repeat year not supported by SAAS.
  • Undertaking a course below HNC level


What can be claimed?

  • Basic Allowance: For small items of equipment like tapes, Braille paper, special dietary needs etc.
  • Large Items of Equipment Allowance: For major items like a PC and specialist software etc.
  • Non-Medical Personal Help: For helpers like interpreters, lip readers, note-takers, wheelchair assistants etc.

How do you claim?

  • At Glasgow Kelvin College any applications for  DSA are prepared in the Student Learning Hub where you will be advised on where it is appropriate to apply and if so, assisted in your application by Hub staff.
  • Please contact the Learning support Hub  Phone 0141- 332 -1786 EXT 612 for an appointment or email:
  • Contact the Hub  team, The Learning Support Hub ,  Room 315 Shamrock Street City campus  for further information and advice.

For More details read the SAAS   DSA guidance notes  on their website :